Show Me/Tell Me
What could the examiner ask you on your Driving test?
For your driving test, you are required to answer a 'Tell Me' Question (where you EXPLAIN how you would carry out a Safety Task) at the start of the test BEFORE you start driving and a 'Show Me' question (where you CARRY out a Safety Task) while you are driving. As a driver you should recognise the importance of basic vehicle maintenance and safety.
Show Me questions require you to demonstrate how to perform basic safety tasks whilst on the move
- When it is safe to do so, can you show me how you wash and clear the REAR windscreen?
Using the wiper control on the RHS of the steering wheel, twist the end of the stalk AWAY FROM YOU TWICE.
- When it is safe to do so, can you show me how you wash and clear the FRONT windscreen?
Using the wiper control on the RHS of the steering wheel, pull the stalk TOWARDS YOU.
- When it is safe to do so, can you show me how you would switch on your DIPPED headlights
Using the light switch located on the Indicator Stalk on LHS of steering wheel, twist the end AWAY FROM YOU TWICE.
- When it is safe to do so, can you show me how you would set the REAR demister control.
Press the bottom RH button of the three in the central display to clear the REAR windscreen
- When it is safe to do so, can you show me how you would operate the horn
PRESS the centre of the steering Wheel. Take care that you do not alarm other road users
- When it is safe to do so, can you show me how you would demist the FRONT windscreen.
Press the bottom LH button of the three in the central display to clear the windscreen and windows.
- When it is safe to do so, can you show me how you would open and close the side windows.
Press and HOLD the RH switch on door to lower window. Lift and Hold the switch to raise the window.
- Tell me how you would check that the brakes are working before starting a journey.
Explain that the brakes should not feel spongy or slack. Brakes should be tested as you set off. The vehicle SHOULD NOT pull to one side.
- Tell me where you would find the information for the recommended tyre pressures for this car and how tyre pressures should be checked.
Refer to the manufacturer's guide [Also on B Pillar on Passenger side of car], use a reliable pressure gauge and check & adjust pressures when the tyres are COLD (don't forget the spare if carried). Remember to refit the valve caps.
- Tell me how you make sure your head restraint is correctly adjusted so it provides the best protection in the event of a crash.
The head restraint should be adjusted so the rigid part of the head restraint is AT LEAST as high as the eyes or top of the ears, and as close to the back of head as is comfortable.
- Tell me how you would check the tyres to ensure that they have sufficient tread depth and that their general condition is safe to use on the road.
There should be NO cuts and bulges in the tyre. There must be 1.6mm of tread depth across the central 3/4 of the breadth of the tyre and around the entire outer circumference.
- Tell me how you would check that the headlights and taillights are working.
Explain that you would operate the switch (turning on the ignition if required) then walk around the vehicle.
- Tell me how you would know if there was a problem with your Anti-lock Braking System (ABS).
A warning light SHOULD illuminate if there is a fault with the Anti-lock Braking System.
- Tell me how you would check that the direction indicators are working.
Operate the indicators or Hazard warning switch and check functioning of ALL indicator lights.
- Tell me how you would check that the brakelights are working on this car.
Operate brake pedal, make use of reflections in windows, garage doors, etc or ask someone to help.
- Tell me how you would check that the Power Assisted Steering is working before a journey.
If the steering becomes heavy the system may not be working properly. Before starting a journey two simple checks can be made.
- Gentle pressure on the steering wheel, maintained while the engine is started, SHOULD result in a slight but noticeable movement as the system begins to operate
- Turning the steering wheel just after moving off will give an IMMEDIATE indication that the power assistance is functioning
- Tell me how you would switch on the rear foglight(s) and explain when you would use it/them.(There is NO need to exit the vehicle).
Operate the switch [on indicator stalk, inside of the light switch. Twist once for Front Fog and again for Rear Fog] (turn on ignition and dipped headlights if necessary). Check warning light is on, and explain their use.
- Tell me how you switch your headlight from dipped to main beam and explain how you would know the main beam is on whilst inside the car.
Operate switch by pushing indicator stalk AWAY from you (with ignition or engine on if necessary), check with main beam warning light.
- Open the Bonnet, identify where you would check the engine oil and tell me how you would check that the engine has sufficient oil.
Identify the dipstick / oil level indicator, describe the check of oil level against the minimum & maximum markers.
- Open the bonnet, identify where you would check the engine coolant level and tell me how you would check that the engine has the correct level.
Identify High/Low level markings on header tank where fitted, or the radiator filler cap. Describe how to top up to the correct level.
- Open the bonnet, identify where the Brake fluid reservoir is and tell me how you would check that you have a safe level of hydraulic brake fluid.
Identify the reservoir and check fluid level against High/Low markings.
Tell Me questions may require you to open the bonnet. Usually you need to identify the relevant part of the car or engine and describe how you would make a safety check